Mobi Grand Challenge
The MOBI Grand Challenge (MGC), sponsored by MOBI, the Mobility Open Blockchain Initiative, and TIoTA, the Trusted IoT Alliance, is loosely modeled on the DARPA grand challenge for autonomous driving which captured the public imagination and launched the autonomous driving revolution. The MGC will run in bi-annual stages over three years.
The first stage of the MGC will run from October 12th, 2018 to January 10th, 2019 beginning with a launch in New Mexico and culminating in finalist presentations and a public demonstration of selected technologies at an event hosted by the BMW Group, MOBI community member, in Munich Germany on February 15th, 2019.
The goal of the first stage is to demonstrate the pieces of the BC/DLT Mobility puzzle that can be addressed today. Entries in this first stage could include, but are not limited to: exchanging data and payments with other vehicles and infrastructure; operating in a tokenized environment by registering assets and payments on a public or permissioned ledger; negotiating rights of way, access, and use of infrastructure in a cooperative and distributed ecosystem; adjusting behavior to maximize efficiency from providing services, buying fuel, managing pollution, congestion and carbon footprint, etc.
Future stages of the challenge will draw on the demonstrations of this first stage to set goals, narrow the selection criteria, and address gaps.
By the end of the third year, winning teams will be expected to demonstrate how blockchains and related technologies - distributed ledgers, cryptography, tokens, and consensus mechanisms can leverage the connections and computing power of vehicles to extend the ‘effective range of perception’ of autonomous vehicles to make mobility safer, cleaner, faster, more efficient and accessible.
The ultimate goal of the challenge is to create the first viable, decentralized, ad-hoc network of blockchain/dlt connected vehicles and infrastructure that can reliably share data, coordinate behavior, and thereby improve urban mobility.
MOBI has selected The Blockchain Society to assist with organizing the Grand Challenge. Signing up for the MGC is easy:
Choose your project. It can be anything that demonstrates how blockchains, distributed ledgers, or related technologies can ultimately help create mobile ad hoc networks of the kind envisioned in the MGC video. What piece of the puzzle can you contribute? Sign up for the MGC and join the Grand MOBI Challenge Slack group here. If chosen as a finalist, be ready to present your project at the MOBI public day and awards ceremony, hosted by the BMW Group in Munich, on February 15, 2019.
Over one million USD of token prizes have been pledged for the MGC; roughly $350,000 of which will be awarded in the first stage. Stay tuned for more information about the event, sponsorship, and additional awards.
- Companies, Universities, NGOs, Startups, or any Independent Developers.
- Anybody who wishes to create a solution that solves issues in urban mobility.
- Any Member or Non-Members of MOBI.
- A code repository for functioning blockchain software.
- A demo video of your working app, with an explanation of how it works.
- Submit the code & video through a DevPost submission.
How to enter
- Register for the hackathon on Devpost.
- Create a team or find teammates. Join our dedicated Slack channel to help with team formation and receive updates.
- Build functioning blockchain software using the developer tools and platforms of your choice. Ideally, choose a category or problem you want to solve.
- Create a demo video of you working app, with an explanation of how it works
- Submit your application on Devpost
Iliana Oris Valiente
Managing Director Accenture
CEO Context Labs
Executive Director trusted IoT alliance
How creative and original is your idea.
How well has your idea been coded.
How many people can your solution help & how big are the implications?